Founded in 1978 by jazz impresario George Wein, Freihofer’s Saratoga Jazz Festival is the fifth longest-consecutive-running jazz festival in North America. Initially founded as “the Newport Jazz Festival at Saratoga” the weekend event was renamed Freihofer’s Saratoga Jazz Festival in 1998. The two-day, two-stage festival continues to be one of the largest jazz music events in North America, beloved by audiences for both the remarkable annual line-up of international jazz talent and the spectacular setting at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in the idyllic Saratoga Spa State Park.
Tips for Festivalgoers
- Traditionally the gates open at 10am Saturday and 11am Sunday.
- Hotels in the area fill up early for the festival weekend!
- The closest airport with commercial service is Albany International Airport (ALB), about one half hour away from the festival by car.
- SPAC’s Ground Rules for the festival include:
- No pets, roller-blades, skateboards or bikes
- No video or recording equipment – still cameras OK
- No grills, hibachis or cooking equipment
- No glass of any kind
- No beer kegs or beer balls
- It is a VIOLATION of NYS Law to carry or possess any firearm, knife, weapon or fireworks on Park Property
Do you have a tip for fellow festival-goers? If so, feel free to leave a comment below to let them know!